Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mommy Business


In the spirit of today, one Very special day of the year where us mothers get recognized for the super hero's we are I want to talk about something very important!

My mother!

My mother was amazing, she was smart, and talented, fun and silly... she was a hard a$$ but I think almost all moms are! She was the right combo of scary and lovable!
She was also taken from me almost 10 years ago!

My mother passed away in Oct 2001 from cervical cancer, its been a tough 10 years, it never does get better, it gets a little easier, but never better! there is always something she "should be here to see or do"
Proms, diploma's, Weddings, babies ,disasters or tragedies that only a mom knows how to help you with..... life goes on and there is no rewind button!

The reason I am telling you this is because in the past 10 years I have gone through many phases in my life, when she first died I wanted to memorialize her on my back with a tattoo, foolish considering the woman despise tattoo's so I was left to pick another memorial. Then I began to think Maybe If I donate to various causes in her memory it would somehow sustain a memorial of some sort, not what i had in mind not big enough for me!
Years later I decided that if I ever had a daughter she would be named after her, which I did do, A-bunny's middle name is Kathleen after my mother.... but again It isn't hitting the note I want it to!

On to the point!

In the past few years I have been talking to my husband about my plans for this issue I have, explaining I wanted to do something bigger and better in her name!
Also in the past 10 years, there have not been many medical breakthroughs in cancer research, for treatment, or for prevention, almost all the options are the same!
A few new types of chemo but that's about it! there have been tremendous breakthroughs in surgery, and in pharmaceuticals, but the cancer treatment end of things is a little less productive. Its a hard disease to crack!
I walk relay for life every year, and I make gift donations to hospitals but its not enough!

What I have come up with and am in the process of building is "The Kathleen F. Marks Memorial Foundation" 
I am putting together my mission statement and going through my check lists for nonprofit organizations, I have been doing a lot more with it in the past 6 months then I have in the 3 years i have been talking about it.
My goal is to get it up and operational by the 10th anniversary of my mothers death.... weather that is going to happen who knows, but it is my goal!

I have got a lot of fantastic idea's and strategies to get the foundation started up with a bang, but who knows if I will be able to execute them in the next 5 months! I'm ambitious, and I have tunnel vision, but there's a lot of papers to be filed and i am first and most importantly a mommy, and A-bunny is my #1 priority!

anyway, To celebrate mothers day I thought I would share my big plans for my moms memory Today!

Happy mothers day! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment